6 Steps To Take When Water Damage Happens
When water damage happens to your home or business – it is definitely overwhelming. Property owners often argue with themselves about contacting a professional water damage cleanup crew because the water damage seems clean and small, like an easy disaster to clean up themselves. However, water damage spreads FAST. Many times, the amount of water damage that has happened from water disasters may seem small to the visible eye, but underneath is a major disaster. Don’t allow water damage to become a bigger problem in the future. Be sure to contact professionals immediately to assess the damage so that you are completely informed of what is happening to your property and how you can remedy it. Daystar Cleaning And Restoration in Panama City Beach is an experienced water damage cleanup company that offers 24-hour assistance for emergency water disasters.
Steps To Take After Water Damage
- Contact your local plumber to help clear out the water that may have already collected in your home.
- Call a professional water damage cleanup crew, like Daystar Cleaning And Restoration, to remove standing water and inspect the damage. We are trained to handle any size of water damage and it is important to know that you have help when water disasters happen.
- Call your insurance company. Thinking about the cost of repairs is probably the last thing on your mind. But it is important to contact your insurance company as soon as you can so they can take care of the financial aspect for you. Your property insurance may not cover the type of water damage that has occurred so a call to your insurance company will help you understand what portion of the financial responsibility you are obligated to.
- If it is safe to do so, turn off circuit breakers supplying electricity to wet areas, unplug and remove any small electrical devices currently located on wet carpet or other wet surfaces. Safety is of the utmost importance, turning off these devices will help avoid any dangerous situations. If you cannot reach these breakers, leave them alone. Wait for professionals with the proper equipment to help you.
- Be proactive! If you can, remove and secure small furniture items as much as possible, to prevent rust or stains and to expedite restoration. This can go a long way. Not only will it help make the process go faster, but it will also help salvage your furniture. (Pro tip: Place aluminum foil under legs of wood furniture, especially antiques, which may permanently stain the carpet.) If you can reach them, remove and secure breakable, moisture sensitive, or high-value items. Remember, it is your chance to take this crisis and turn it into an opportunity instead of a dangerous situation. This means moving your items from dangerous spots as well!
- Understand that these professionals may need to move your larger belongings, like beds, fridges, and stovetops, in order to help the cleanup process. If you can, make a pathway so that they can come in and remove these items and start looking for ways to clean up the water damage.
Water damage emergencies are never fun. But knowing what you can do to help the process can be comforting. In Panama City Beach, if your home or business suffers water damage, contact our water damage cleanup professionals right away. Daystar Cleaning And Restoration has the skill, experience, and equipment to get the job done right.